Australian Flood Facts
With annual floods on the increase across all parts of Australia, we share some of the facts worth considering when deciding on your preparations against flooding.
- In Australia 1.3 million homes have a flood risk rating
- The estimated average annual cost of floods in Australia is $314 million*.
- The emergency services sector, as well as the insurance industry recommends that homeowners and organisations implement annual risk management strategies which include disaster planning and preparation.
- The SES encourages all homes and businesses to consider their readiness for floods and storms, including developing an emergency plan.
- Look at your state SES website for FloodSafe and emergency planning information.
* Australian Bureau of Statistics, 1301.0 – Yearbook Complete, 2008
Urban Areas with Flood Risk Rating